Thursday, June 18, 2015

Sunday Antiques Fair in Modena and Ferraris

Cochi and Sylvana showed up to take the gang to Modena for the day. The antiques market day! As we parked and walked toward the Piazza Grande, Cochi explained that the American soldiers had marched through here. It was then that I realized these students had no idea what World War II was like for the Italian people. I told them how Cochi had been a child of seven years when the troops marched through to liberate Italy, giving the children chocolate bars as they passed through.

Cochi indicated the sign that marked the bomb shelter. I also explained to the students about the heavy shutters on the windows. They were amazed to know the purpose had been to block out the light from within during the nightly air raid by the Germans. If there were no lights, the pilots could not bomb the cities and towns. It was a bonding moment when the information we gave was truly appreciated.

We separated to shop and browse the area. We toured the Duomo museum and these statues to giving birth were amazing. The cathedral was full of Fillipino people, much to my surprise. Gigliola explained that there was  huge population of Fillipini in the area, and that today was the confirmation of the young adults. There was even a priest from the Philippines. Needless to say, we didn't get to go into the church beyond the entrance, due to the crowds.

We had lunch with Giglolia and Sylvana and Cochi in a great pizza shop on the square across the street from the Duomo, going toward the Synagogue. Then we met back and headed for our fancy adventure of the day - The Ferrari Museum!

WOW... All I can say is I definitely deserve one -or two, or a week's worth.... and most were in my favorite car color combination - red and black. Why can't I have at least ONE???

I am really not a car person, but these were just gorgeous... Beautiful, hot, sexy, amazing red cars... Coach says he will buy each of us one... at least that is how I translated what he said...

I did not know they made airplane engines during the War.

I found my Testarossa... just gorgeous.

Then we headed to Castlenouva for a festival f the borlunghi - the gaffer thin dough with prosciutto
 and cheese in it. Cochi bought enough for everyone and we had a nice time walking through the street fair.

Greg didn't like it, so on the way home we stopped at McDonald's, which didn't look like any I had seen before. It was so funny to see Cochi and Sylvana eating French Fries, I had to call Cristiano... I told him I was corrupting his parents! We had a nice chat and headed for the Hotel Eden.

Tomorrow we go to meet the Mayor and to our first schools in Marano sul Panaro.

Another wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment