Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Rainy Friday in Venice

More rain, so breakfast was served in two small rooms. It would have been wonderful in the garden. Lots of variety here for breakfast at Hotel Salute. It's a good location, right in from the Salute vaparetto stop and only a few minute walk to the Academia Bridge (one of 3 that cross the Grand Canal). Wanted to try the tranghetto, but it doesn't run in the rain.

We walked to St. Mark's Square to meet our tour guide. She was very knowledgeable, and 3 hours flew by. I learned lots, myself, which is always fun for me. In all my times in Venice, I had no idea that St. Ambrose was staining over an alligator in this statue near the Doges Palace! Who knew???

We watched the bell tower ring, and
headed toward the Fenice Opera House. We had not seen that before, nor the tower house.

After the tour we all headed to St. Mark's to catch the vaporetto to Murano for some glassblowing sightings and purchases. It was still worth it to see the furnaces and to buy authentic items at a fair cost. The furnaces were all moved to Murano to prevent further fires on Venice centuries ago. It's definitely worth the trip.

The students headed back to main Venice and Ray and I lingered. I was not ready to give up our quest to find beautiful beads to bring home.No place was selling loose beads like we had found in 2005. I was very disappointed, but I managed to buy quite a few nice pieces, which included glass cherries to bring to Cochi and Silvana.

I so needed a coffee, and we found this little place, and wow... there was the sign to show the bus that went to Burano... exactly what I wanted to do.

The rain continued as we trudged along the lagoon. It didn't matter. I had treasures and my hubby and was off to capture the beauty of Burano... at least I hoped.

Burano is four islands linked by bridges. Here is a link: http://www.isoladiburano.it/en/index.html.


When did they begin painting the houses in all those funky colors? There is an ancient legend narrates that fishermen painted their houses to see them from long distance when they were far away for fishing.I have seen photos, and took some in 2005, but I don;t know the story of why they are so many different colors. This is definitely something I need to look up...

We arrived and checked the vaparetto return trips, because it is a long way (an hour) from Venice. We stopped a few times to look at some of the lace (lacemaking is the main industry of this island). The grandmothers teach the grand daughters to continue the craft. I did get a few photos of some of the old women making hand made lace. It is gorgeous.

But the colors, even in the rain, are breathtaking. It is like stepping into a make-believe-land. I am so excited, I keep shooting from the camera, iPad, and iPhone... I will make sure to capture what I remember from '05 and since... beautiful.

We stopped in a shop that had Murano jewelry, and guess what... BEADS!!! There were not as many as the store from 2005, but I certainly got my fill. A new style is big glass balls on a leather strip. The lady gave me one as a gift, and a sample, but I will really need to look at it to replicate it with the ones I bought loose.

She was wonderful and gave me gift bags and stickers for each one. Her husband makes the beads and I have her info: Lumeart di Livia Minio
Corte Novello Via Giudecca n40
30142 Burano-Venezia Italy
lumeart.venezia@gmail.com


We ate in a wonderful place and had a Spritzer and some excellent seafood at Ristornate Galuppi in Galuppi Piazza. It was simple and delicious.

Before it got dark, we decided to head back. It was an hour boat ride back, past Murano, past the cemetery island of St. Michael's and then the water bus to the north. I wanted my ride down the whole Grand Canal, so we did exactly that. It was a wonderful day.

I love Venice and got to do it MY way today with my patient and wonderful husband.









No comments:

Post a Comment