Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Seagull Saturday - Goodbye Venice

Wow... the seagulls were loud... It still is raining, and after breakfast we began another move... this time by vaporetto and then bus to Vignola. It's time for the Modena area of our trip. We will meet the mayor (our friend, Emilia) and work in the school there for a few days, head to a Reggio school, see parmesan cheese made, and taste lots of balsamic.  Oh yes... and get to spend time with our Italian family, Cochi and Sylvana and Gigliola. Yes, I am excited.

The rain continued into Vignola. We took a walk to the Centro and had lunch together. The rain is beginning to wear on me, and I crave the sunshine... After a gelato, we headed to tour La Roccha di Vignola - the castle of Vignola.

Greg and Nancy spent a lot of time with me and seemed really interested. We kept trying to imagine living there. What a different lifetime. I know the castles were designed to spot your enemies before they could attack, but there are always so many stairs. The people were shorter, and Nancy and I were having trouble climbing the stairs. How did THEY ever do it...

Found some great Pinocchios in a window, and then another made out of bread and rolls.

Bought an awesome children's book in an awesome bookstore. Then a gelato and back to Hotel Eden.

Ray was upstairs in the hotel room and I was in the lobby trying to take advantage of the Wi-Fi and the table, checking students' blog posts and updating budget spending... Yes, I AM working...

The door opened and Cochi and Silvana walked in. AWESOME!!!!... It felt so good to hug them. They have so much planned for our group this week, some I know about, some is a surprise. It will be a wonderful week.

I wonder if my students will see the next level of exposure to children, culture, and cuisine, here. We personally know the mayor, these friends, the headmaster at the school, the photographer friend of the Mianis... This week opens the opportunity for the VSU students to see agriculture on a firsthand basis. We will explore Italian cuisine, as well.

And we will have a family to help us see this next level.

I am hopeful and excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment